Capturing my love of whole foods, combined with the activity of a bustling kitchen.
A weekly collection of photos from the center of my home.
- I love August. I don't often think about my least favorite months (I truly enjoy living with four distinct seasons), but this year I realized that indeed, I have a least favorite... July. I could really do without all the horseflies and mosquitoes dive-bombing and feasting on my family for 30 days. When we lived in the city I tolerated summer better than I do now, there honestly wasn't much to do outside so we could hunker down in the cool of the house. But now, with a 1,000 square foot (or larger?) garden to tend, it's hard to draw the curtains and emerge only when the cool winds blow again... which happens in August! It is most definitely still summer, but the air and light has shifted ever so slightly, I'm beginning to feel alive again. This week the stove was used more than the grill and there was even a little baking that happened.
- This week saw homemade granola, almond butter brownies (with a wedge of Not Your Sugar Mamas chocolate - yum!), blueberry muffins, lasagna for Emily, and lots and lots of swiss chard. I wrote earlier in the season about our swiss chard having a tough year. It seems to have turned around and is now lush and bountiful. Swiss chard seems to love the shift in light and temperatures as well.
- I think I'm going to make soup today. Can't remember the last time that happened and I'm usually a one pot cook so it feels odd to be without for this long. Perhaps my Bean, Kale, Rice & Sausage Soup - Kathie sent me some Jacob's Cattle Beans that she grew and dried, they are my favorite!
Each day I find myself snapping a picture or two in the kitchen - a pile of ingredients, a table waiting for us to gather around, a sink full of soapy dishes, a cup of tea, dinner as it comes out of the oven - simple, everyday moments in the kitchen. These photos serve as a reminder of days gone by and as encouragement to carry on in this busy kitchen of ours when inspiration is lacking.
Every Thursday morning I'll post my photos from the week, words or recipes optional. Just glimpses into my kitchen and you're invited to do the same!
It's simple to join in:
- On your blog, post photos taken in your kitchen throughout the week.
- Words aren't necessary, your photos will tell the the story. Some of us enjoy adding a few thoughts to accompany the images... the choice is yours.
- Feel free to grab the brief description at the top of this post, or add a few words of your own to explain the project.)
- Link back to this post so your readers can visit This Week In My Kitchen and join in.
- Come back here and link up your current post (not your main blog) so we can all visit your kitchen!
- Join me every Thursday or the occasional Thursday if that works better for you.
- Please be sure to only link up if you are participating in this series. Thank you!