Capturing my love of whole foods, combined with the activity of a bustling kitchen.
A weekly collection of photos from the center of my home.
- Yesterday I returned to cooking after two and a half weeks off duty. So, still not too many pictures on my end, I really didn't do much in that department. I'm almost 42 years old and never in my life have I said out loud, "I need a break from cooking for a couple of weeks." I felt so free to drop into my creative work and not have dinner or the bigger task, grocery shopping, on my mind. In the beginning, I was clear to my family that this was not about them cooking for me... I'd eat carrots if they didn't feel like cooking. No problem! I just felt the need to be clear and honest that I wouldn't be doing any actual cooking or grocery shopping. They were awesome. They cooked and shopped and harvested - and came away realizing they actually have only four meals in their collective repertoire. Let's just say we probably won't be having tacos for a long while. In the end, the biggest effort for them was grocery shopping within a reasonable budget. That is one heck of a skill that takes practice, foresight, and lots of creativity.
- Anyway... I'm back! I made granola yesterday, this morning set out the crockpots for stock and yogurt is culturing on the counter. There was roasted chicken last night with fresh from the garden potatoes that were also roasted with young onions and ghee. The dehydrator is cranking and herb jars are filling. In a few minutes I'll harvest the dill and calendula for dehydrating. This afternoon we'll pickle beets and possibly dill pickles. It was so good to take a break, but now I'm happy and inspired to get back in there.
Each day I find myself snapping a picture or two in the kitchen - a pile of ingredients, a table waiting for us to gather around, a sink full of soapy dishes, a cup of tea, dinner as it comes out of the oven - simple, everyday moments in the kitchen. These photos serve as a reminder of days gone by and as encouragement to carry on in this busy kitchen of ours when inspiration is lacking.
Every Thursday morning I'll post my photos from the week, words or recipes optional. Just glimpses into my kitchen and you're invited to do the same!
It's simple to join in:
- On your blog, post photos taken in your kitchen throughout the week.
- Words aren't necessary, your photos will tell the the story. Some of us enjoy adding a few thoughts to accompany the images... the choice is yours.
- Feel free to grab the brief description at the top of this post, or add a few words of your own to explain the project.)
- Link back to this post so your readers can visit This Week In My Kitchen and join in.
- Come back here and link up your current post (not your main blog) so we can all visit your kitchen!
- Join me every Thursday or the occasional Thursday if that works better for you.
- Please be sure to only link up if you are participating in this series. Thank you!
I look forward to visiting your kitchens!