We tried... we really did try. And it was a yummy, fun experiment indeed. In the end though, it took about four or five days for us to realize that it wasn't working for us at this time. Oh well, it was a tasty failure at least!
In theory it could have worked. Actually, more so at this point in our lives than any other. Emily and I are home (of course) and for the last couple of years Adam has had a more normal 9-5 type work schedule. There is no rush for us to carpool to school, he does not have an hour long commute, our family has seen both over the years. Yes, we could have indeed gathered each morning for a family meal.
However, there were a few factors that I forgot to consider.
- I am a big believer that teens need a full nights sleep. Having her get up around 6:30 to fall asleep at the breakfast table (okay, maybe not quite) was not really working out. I have no idea how her friends that go to regular school get on the bus at 6:40am and go to bed at 10:30 after doing homework make it through the day.
- I've started going to the gym in the morning which puts me out of the house for about 1 1/4 hours, family breakfast meant I wasn't able to do that.
- I don't really eat breakfast! It was kind of funny how I'd make these amazing meals and then just stare at my plate gathering the will to pick up my fork. It usually takes me about 2 hours after rising to feel like eating.
- I was giving myself more work! We were still having dinner as usual, and I make a pretty mean homeschool lunch (if I may say so). Considering my recent cry for help when it comes to being a working homeschool mom... why was I adding another item to my schedule?
- As for my husband? Well, he was just thrilled to be fed but agreed it did take away from our gym time (we take turns going each morning), and Emily was better off staying in bed for just a little longer.
It was great to try it out though. How would we have known it wasn't a fit otherwise? We've always been, and still are, big weekend breakfast people. Of course, we do that more as a brunch than a bright and early sort of thing. I guess weekend breakfasts might be about all we can handle for now, and I'm okay with that.
Do you have breakfast together as a family in the morning? If so, you might want to give these potato pancakes a try... you will be so glad you did.
So, it didn't work for us. That's okay, I'm glad we tried, and trying it out is something I would definitely recommend to other families. I'm always up for trying new things that might offer our family even more time together. That's always a good thing.